A gifted seamstress with a mission, Renske Solkesz determined to create her personal wardrobe after discovering herself annoyed with excessive style costs. After we noticed her stylish and fashionable wardrobe creations, we requested if she’d be prepared to create and share a enjoyable accent tutorial with us. I’m tremendous enthusiastic about what she’s provide you with: an incredible self-closing utilitarian tote!
I’m an enormous fan of the graphic distinction and the leather-based and rivet particulars. Like her style designs, this tote is produced from cheap supplies, but appears completely luxe. I’m midway out the door to the material retailer already! You’ll be able to see the opposite items she’s created on her weblog, The Dress is Made. Thanks for sharing, Renske! — Kate
After I designed this bag, I needed to combine the grip/straps in a extra purposeful means with the remainder of the bag. I experimented with completely different strategies of holding and shutting the bag, which resulted in a bag that closes routinely whenever you decide it up. I simply created a intelligent technique to join the leather-based strap to the bag.
A good friend of mine known as it a “yin yang bag,” which is fairly correct, I believe. The graphic use of white and darkish brown cloth will not be solely an aesthetic alternative; the dark-colored backside makes stains much less seen. — Renske
- White cotton canvas (30 x 82 cm; that features the seam allowance)
- Darkish brown cloth (or one other colour in the event you favor that) for the liner (30 x 82 cm)
- Darkish brown cloth (30 x 18 cm)
- Leather-based strap for the deal with (12-mm broad, 70-cm lengthy)
- Four small rivets to attach the leather-based deal with to the bag
- 2 massive eyelets with a gap diameter of 14 mm (if you will discover bigger ones, you need to use a broader strap, too)
- Stitching machine
- Measuring tape
- Pattern template
1. First, minimize two massive items of material in line with the sample.
2. Pin the small piece of darkish cloth to the white canvas. Make certain it’s precisely within the center, as a result of this can type the darkish backside as soon as the bag is completed. I used the iron to create a pointy straight fold within the fringe of the brown cloth earlier than pinning it to the white cloth.
3. Sew collectively.
4. Fold the liner (the big piece of darkish brown cloth) in two and sew the aspect edges collectively. Don’t overlook to go away a small half someplace midway unstitched. You’ll need this gap in a while.
5. You now have a really flat bag. To create quantity, it’s good to give the bag sides by stitching the decrease corners collectively. To do that, open the bag and place the 2 aspect seams on prime of one another. You’ll create a triangular fold, with the 2 corners now forming two triangles on prime of one another.
6. Mark the place you need the seams with the chalk and sew every nook.
7. Repeat these steps with the white cloth. Make certain to show the beautiful aspect (the one that may grow to be the surface) inside. When the bag is completed, all seams will probably be invisible between the liner and the surface. That’s the purpose of utilizing a lining, aside from the beautiful distinction when the bag is completed.
8. Put the liner contained in the outer cloth. Ensure that the nice sides, those that may finally be seen, are positioned towards one another. I saved the white canvas simply as I had when stitching it and turned the brown lining inside-out earlier than placing it within the white half. In case you did it proper, you will note the appears of the white canvas on the surface. The brown lining is inside it, with the seams seen whenever you look into the bag.
9. Sew the perimeters collectively across the bag.
10. Now the actually enjoyable half: Pull out the liner and search for the outlet you left open in one of many aspect seams. By means of this gap you’ll be able to pull the entire bag inside out till it’s utterly reversed and all the appears have grow to be invisible. Use the iron once more to flatten the perimeters and the aspect seams. The stitching half is finished!
11. The final step is so as to add the eyelets and join the strap to the bag. Eyelets and rivets often include some instruments to make the proper holes within the cloth and to maintain their type when hammering them into place. Add one eyelet to both aspect of the bag, in the course of every flap.
12. Stick the leather-based strap by way of one of many eyelets and join it with two rivets to the opposing aspect of the bag. Do the identical with the opposite finish of the strap.