I’m an enormous fan of open ended toys for teenagers, and these Waldorf impressed DIY play silks are my absolute favourite. They’re so easy, but they’re the primary issues my children attain for after they play. They’re used as capes, skirts, attire, scarves, necklaces, wings, crowns, child carriers, hammocks, slings, leashes, flags, sails, ropes, trains, boats, tents and extra. I’m always stunned by their creativity, which is precisely why I like toys like these.
We began out with solely 6 DIY play silks, and after nonstop arguing over them, I gave up and made 6 extra. 12 appears to be the magic quantity for us, sufficient that there aren’t (as many) fights, however not too many who they don’t all get used.
Dyed play silks might be dear to purchase, however plain silk scarves are comparatively cheap. Sadly my children don’t share my love of all issues white, so that they wouldn’t have been followers of the silks the best way I purchased them. However with somewhat meals coloring and a few white vinegar, they’re now vivid and enjoyable and colourful.
HOW TO MAKE DIY PLAY SILKS
YOU WILL NEED:
- 8mm silk scarves within the measurement of your selection (ours are 30″ x 30″)
- liquid meals shade
- distilled white vinegar
- a big pot & spoon
- Pre-wash your silks by hand in heat soapy water. Use a mild laundry detergent or child shampoo. Rinse properly.
- Soak the cleaned silks in scorching water with vinegar for a minimum of an hour.
- Fill a big pot with about four liters of water. Convey to a simmer, then add 2 cups of distilled white vinegar.
- Add meals coloring and blend properly. The quantity of meals coloring I used for every shade is listed beneath.
- Place one silk into the pot and stir always till the silk has absorbed a lot of the dye from the water. The time this takes will range by shade.
- Take away the silk from the dye, and rinse with chilly water till the water runs clear.
- Wring out the surplus water and hold to dry.
- Dump the water from the pot and repeat along with your subsequent shade.
- When the silks are dry, iron on the silk setting. This isn’t vital, however they get fairly crinkly, and ironing them makes them good and silky once more.
HOW TO CLEAN AND CARE FOR YOUR PLAY SILKS:
In case your silks get performed with as a lot as ours do, they may must be cleaned on occasion. Soak silks in a big bowl or pot of heat water with light laundry detergent or child shampoo. Swish along with your arms. Rinse with chilly water and hold to dry, then iron. It’s best to scrub colours individually as some shade will bleed every time you wash them. If after a number of washes they fade an excessive amount of, you may merely dye them once more utilizing the identical colours as the primary time. (Write down your shade mixtures so you may match them precisely.)
HAND DYED PLAY SILK COLORS:
Getting the correct mixture of colours is trickier than it appears! Numerous my colours didn’t come out precisely how I wished. However all collectively I believe they appear good. And my children love the rainbow so they’re blissful.
These are the mixtures of colours that I used, from left to proper:
- fuchsia | 50 drops crimson, three drops blue
- crimson/orange | 50 crimson, 10 yellow, three blue
- orange | 25 yellow 5 crimson
- yellow | 30 yellow 1 crimson
- lime | 15 yellow, three inexperienced
- mint inexperienced | 14 inexperienced, 6 yellow, 2 blue
- inexperienced | 25 inexperienced, 25 blue
- gentle blue | 6 blue, 9 neon blue, 2 neon purple, three neon inexperienced
- darkish blue | 18 neon blue, 9 neon purple, 2 neon inexperienced
- purple | 15 blue, three neon purple
- darkish purple | 18 neon purple, 6 neon blue
- pink | 12 neon pink, 2 neon blue
It’s regular for the colour to be a bit uneven and imperfect. That’s the fantastic thing about handmade!
The most effective half about these play silks?
They make the greatest journey toys! I made a easy drawstring bag to maintain them in, so they’re straightforward to throw in a backpack or keep on. They don’t take up a lot room and weigh subsequent to nothing. They usually preserve the children entertained for hours, irrespective of the place we’re.