How one can construct a planter field, that’s raised, in your entrance porch for flowers or greens.
Spring is right here and I’m itching to get out within the backyard and plant some flowers and veggies. Our entrance porch is the primary place that I like so as to add a contact of Spring however including flower pots has been a problem as a result of it’s such a decent house.
We do have a slender wall subsequent to the entrance door that was screaming for one thing however I couldn’t discover something to suit. I attempted an IKEA Rast on this spot the primary Spring we lived right here, however I actually wished some form of planter field so I may plant seasonal flowers.
EASY DIY MAGNOLIA WREATH
I searched in shops and on-line the previous 2 years however couldn’t discover the proper fashion or proper measurement. So, since I couldn’t discover what I wished, I made a decision to construct my very own.
This submit might include affiliate hyperlinks which gained’t change your value however will share some fee.
PLANTER BOX SUPPLIES:
- (2) 3/4″ x 11-1/4″ x 8′ pine boards
- 1-3/4″ wire brads
- (2) 2″x2″x 8′ pine
- wooden filler
- wooden stain
- pot liner
- wooden glue
- (2) 3/4″ x 11-1/4″ @ 38-1/2″ lengthy (planter field back and front items)
- (2) 3/4″ x 11-1/4″ @ 9-1/16″ lengthy (planter facet items)
- (4) 2″ x 2″ @ 29-1/2″ lengthy (planter legs)
- (2) 3/4″ x 3″ @ 38-1/2″ lengthy (backside rails)
- (2) 3/4″ x 11-1/4″ @ 9-1/16″ lengthy (facet backside rails)
- (18) 3/4″ x 1-7/8 @ 10-5/8″ lengthy (slats for backside shelf)
- (5) 2″ x 2″ @ 9-1/16″ lengthy (helps for pot liner)
- (2) 3/4″ x 40-5/8″ @ 1-7/8″ with a 45° angle (rim round planter field)
- (2) 3/4″ x 12-15/16″ @ 1-7/8″ with a 45° angle (facet items for rim round planter field)
- desk noticed
- chop noticed
- pneumatic staple gun
- palm sander
I’d already made a tough sketch of my planter so the following step was to determine the size. I wished one thing that match a wall on my porch so I measured the width, size and depth and went purchasing for provides.
Fortunately I discovered a plastic pot liner that was the suitable match my chosen spot, and it’s the proper basis for my wooden planter.
With all my provides collectively and measurements labored out, it was time to chop the wooden. I began with the principle planter field and lower one of many 8′ pine boards into the entrance, again and facet items of the field.
Subsequent, I labored on the underside shelf.
First I lower one 3″ strip off of the second 8′ pine board. Then I lower that 3″ strip in order that it matched the identical dimensions as the principle planter field (10-9/16″ x 38-1/2″).
Then I lower the remnants of the second pine board into 1-7/8″ strips for the underside shelf.
After I lower the strips, I used a jig to chop 18 lengths at 10-5/8″ to make the slats of the underside shelf. The jig made it simple to get the identical size for every slat and allowed me to do it shortly.
Lastly, I lower the two×2’s to size for the planter field legs. Consequently, I ended up with Four legs at 29-1/2 ” every.
It was a little bit of an afterthought, however I had some wooden leftover and determined to make use of the rest of the 1-7/8″ strips to make the rim across the planter field. I lower a 45 diploma angle on every finish so they’d match collectively.
Now that every one of my wooden lower, it was time to place my planter collectively.
I began by assembling the flower field. First I utilized wooden glue on the seams and nailed the perimeters collectively utilizing the pneumatic nail gun.
Subsequent, I added the legs with a little bit of wooden glue and nailing every in place, recessing them 3″ into the planter field.
After that, the underside shelf was hooked up, in the identical actual approach the planter field was put collectively. First the entrance, then the perimeters and again. Every bit was glued and nailed.
Subsequent, I added the helps below the pot liner. As a way to do this I put the planter and pot liner the other way up and house the helps on prime of the the other way up pot liner. As soon as I used to be glad with the location of the helps, each was nailed into place.
It was time so as to add the rim across the planter field. First, I hooked up the lengthy, facet piece, with glue and nails, after which I matched up the 45 diploma angles and hooked up the perimeters and the final lengthy piece.
Lastly, I put in the slats for the underside shelf. I laid them out to determine spacing and, as luck would have it, a 3/4″ board was the proper spacer in between every slat.
My DIY raised planter was full and prepared for stain.
As a way to make it look extra completed, I stuffed all of the nail holes and seams with wooden putty and sanded the whole lot easy.
The final step on this construct was to stain it.
We now have a stone home so I wished my planter field to have a country look. With this in thoughts, I made a decision to go along with an ebony stain. I merely rubbed it on with a clear rag and wiped off the surplus.
Some fairly crops and previous pots end off the country look.
I can’t wait to plant it for every season. Possibly some herbs, and even veggies. Positively flowers, too!