Maybe the weather is too cold for a bath, or maybe your pup just doesn’t enjoy a weekly dip in the tub and you don’t have the energy to do battle. This dry shampoo is the perfect solution for you and your stinky fur baby! Between baths it is a great way to freshen fur by deodorizing while helping to remove dirt and oils from their skin and fur. All you need are 3 simple and safe ingredients and 5 minutes to make your own at home. This recipe is cheaper and safer than what you could find even at high end dog boutiques! Follow this easy tutorial to make your own DIY Dry Dog Shampoo!
Besides offering the same calming properties it does to people, the lavender essential oil in this shampoo is a great natural option in repelling fleas and ticks. The same way I would recommend you only use 100% pure therapeutic grade essential oil for yourself, I would also suggest the same for your beloved pet!
DIY Dry Dog Shampoo
You will need:
1 cup baking soda
1 cup cornstarch
5 drops lavender essential oil
Jar/container (ideally one with a shaker lid, but at least one with a tight fitting lid)
Note: For ease of application you might use a container that has holes in the top so that you can simply shake it onto your dog- an empty Parmesan container, sugar shaker, etc. If you like to use Mason jars, you can get a shaker lid to fit your Mason jar!
1. Stir together baking soda, cornstarch, and essential oil to combine well.
2. Place in a container with a tight fitting lid (such as a Mason jar) to store for up to one year.
1. Sprinkle your DIY dry dog shampoo liberally over your pet’s coat, allow to absorb for 5 minutes (or as long as your pet will allow).
2. Brush through your dog’s fur until all powder is absorbed and is no longer visible.
3. Repeat as needed to freshen up your pet!